Wednesday, February 22, 2012

And Introducing Brocco-Li!

     Hi, my name is Brocco, and I am a 3 year old Bichon-Maltese doggie that just got adopted from All Creatures Great & Small rescue organization in Hollister, CA. I thought I would keep a diary of my adventures so that people can see how much fun it is to have a rescue animal, especially one with special needs. This way you can read about me, my adventures and see pictures and fun stuff. Maybe when you think of getting a pet, you will consider getting a rescue animal, or maybe donating a little money to a shelter. That would be real nice, and you'd feel real good about it too! 


Well, like I said, I am Brocco, and here's my story...


I can't remember much from when I was a really little pup, but I think my first humie bought me at a pet store. I don't think that humie was really ready to have a dog in her life because when I started having seizures as a pup, she did not take me to a vet or give me any medication. I spent a lot of time in a back yard, alone and sad. She didn't know what to do with me. So, I ended up in a shelter. It turns out, I have epilepsy. I have seizures that make me confused and scared, and I have to have medicine twice a day and be careful what I eat. That's not really hard at all, but I need humies to help me with that so I take pills on time and get the attention that I need. 



That's me, right there. Yep, that one. The cute one. 

Then this really nice couple of humies named Skip and Georgia took me in and treated me real good. They gave me love and my medicine and since they live in the country, I had lots of space to play. I didn't even mind their kitty cats! But still, it is foster care and I know that means I need a place that will be forever. My foster parents were so nice and I really like them, but it's hard to take care of lots of animals that need homes. Everyone hoped someone would come along and adopt me. Vivian from All Creatures Great & Small (that's the rescue place) was really helpful in making sure I got the help I needed. I spent 19 months in foster care, which is a loooong time! I mean seriously, look how cute I am! How come humies were scared to adopt me? I think it's because they think it will be hard to care for me. I understand, but I hope they change their minds about adopting boogawoofs like me. Oh, that's a new word I learned. My new humies say it a lot. They say a "boogawoof" is pretty much anything with more hair showing than skin, so ya know, doggies and kitties and bunnies and stuff. Boogawooooooof! 


Me, in my new Thundershirt!


So, anyway, lots of time in a foster home. Well, guess what? I GOT ADOPTED!!! I'm so happy! I met this nice couple who live in Fremont. That's near San Francisco, kinda. It's gonna be a different life and a lot to get used to, but they seem like nice humies and they say they are ready to make me part of their family. That's all I've ever wanted! So, after a couple of meetings, I went to their house... my home. Wow, that is nice to say, HOME! They have a 2 bedroom apartment in the city, which I am soooo not used to! I am used to real quiet countryside where I have a back yard, but OK. I can adapt to that. The first night there, I was pretty scared. I mean, what's gonna happen? What do I do? Where are my foster parents that I have been with for 2 years? I miss them already, and I had a hard time the first night. 


My new humies, Alec and Rowan, they took me to PetCo and let me walk in the store and pick out a jacket harness and a Thundershirt. A Thundershirt is this cloth thing kinda like a shirt but with velcro straps. It fits like it is hugging me, and when I get scared, it is nice to put on and feel secure. The jacket harness is pretty neat too. It doesn't pull on my neck, and it has glowing REFLECTORS! I look pretty styling' now! This must be how city dogs do it! And you know what? After that first night, I am feeling a bit better now. Still a little nervous, but I am getting used to this place, and I think I might just be HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment